The typical workflow of exporting volumes via iSCSI is as follows:
- Assign the network with the traffic type iSCSI to a network interface on each node that you will add to a target group. Refer to Managing node network interfaces.
- Create a target group on chosen nodes, providing details for target WWNs and portals. Targets will be created automatically and added to the group. Target portals will be created on specified network interfaces and ports. Refer to Creating target groups.
- Create volumes and attach them to the target group. Refer to Managing iSCSI volumes.
- Optionally, enable CHAP authorization for the target group, create CHAP accounts, and assign them to the target group. Refer to Managing CHAP accounts.
- Optionally, enable ACL authorization for the target group, create a list of initiators that will be allowed to access only specific LUNs. Initiators not on the list will be able to access all LUNs in the target group. Refer to Managing LUN views.
- Start the target group. Refer to Starting and stopping target groups.
- Connect initiators to targets by using standard tools of your operating system or product, for example,
iscsiadm. Use the
vstorage-target session-listcommand to view iSCSI sessions active on a node in a target group.