You can change volume size only by increasing it. Volumes can be extended for both running (online resizing) and stopped (offline resizing) virtual machines. Online volume resizing allows users to avoid downtime and enables scaling VM storage capacity on the fly without service interruption.
- You cannot shrink volumes.
- During volume resizing, the file system inside the guest OS is not extended.
- If you revert a volume to a snapshot that was taken before the volume extension, the new volume size will be retained.
- A volume is created, as described in Creating and deleting volumes.
To extend a volume
- On the Compute > Storage > Volumes tab, click a volume.
- Click the pencil icon in the Size field.
- Enter the desired volume capacity, and then click the tick icon.
After the volume is extended, you will need to re-partition the disk inside the guest OS to allocate the added disk space.