3.3. Running Virtuozzo Hybrid Server in Virtual Machines¶
Nested virtualization is an experimental feature and tested only on Linux guests. The operation of nested virtual machines may be unstable.
Installing Virtuozzo Hybrid Server in virtual machines may prove useful if you want to evaluate Virtuozzo Hybrid Server.
To run virtual machines with Virtuozzo Hybrid Server, the physical server’s procesor(s) must support either of these architectures: Intel VT-x (with “unrestricted guest”) and EPT. The following hypervisors are supported: Parallels Desktop for Mac, VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation, and VMware ESXi. Make sure that nested virtualization support is enabled in your hypervisor.
The following virtual hardware is recommended for virtual machines with Virtuozzo Hybrid Server:
- vCPU: 2 or more
- RAM: 2 GB or more
- HDD: 64 GB or more
To install Virtuozzo Hybrid Server in a VM, copy the distribution ISO image to a local drive and create a new VM from it according to your virtualization software documentation. Start the VM, boot to the Virtuozzo Hybrid Server installer, and follow the instructions in Installing Virtuozzo Hybrid Server.
3.3.1. Restrictions and Peculiarities¶
When using Virtuozzo Hybrid Server in a virtualized environment, keep in mind the following restrictions and specifics:
- Running Virtuozzo Hybrid Server in a virtual machine is intended for evaluation purposes only, and not for production.
- If you change the configuration of a virtual machine where Virtuozzo Hybrid Server is installed, you may need to reactivate Virtuozzo Hybrid Server.
- When you start a virtual machine with Virtuozzo Hybrid Server, VMware Fusion may warn you that it requires full access to the network traffic. Ignore this message, and proceed with booting the virtual machine.
- To run in a virtualized Virtuozzo Hybrid Server environment, a virtual machine must have Virtuozzo guest tools installed.
- To enable full support for virtual machines created inside Virtuozzo Hybrid Server, make sure to enable nested virtualization support for the Virtuozzo Hybrid Server VM in your virtualization software. Otherwise virtual machines created in Virtuozzo Hybrid Server will only support 32-bit operating systems and a single CPU.
- Containers created in Virtuozzo Hybrid Server running inside a virtual machine have no limitations and work as usual.