11.3. Managing Users¶
A user is an object containing the following information: the user name, password, and group(s) where the user is included, if any. Any user can be assigned a role defining her/his rights in respect of the corresponding physical server and/or virtual environment(s). Virtuozzo Automator allows you to manage users in one of the following ways:
- view the information on the users currently existing in Virtuozzo Automator;
- remove an existing user from the particular physical/virtual environment or from VA;
- create a new user in VA or on a particular physical/virtual environment;
- configure the user’s parameters.
11.3.1. Viewing Users¶
The users currently registered in Virtuozzo Automator can be viewed on the Users tab of the Security screen displayed by following the Security link on the Virtuozzo Automator menu. There are two default subtabs on this screen allowing you to list the users from two databases (these databases are automatically created):
- The Virtuozzo Internal subtab: this database contains VA-specific users.
- The System subtab: this database is fully identical to the system database of the Master Server Host OS. It contains the information on the users registered in the Host OS and defines the rights these users have in respect of the system administration. The content of the database can be changed within the Host OS.
The information on users is presented in the table having the following columns:
|Icon||The icon that serves as a signal that this object is a single user or a whole group: one figure stands for a user, two - stand for a group of users.|
|Login||The name used to log in to Virtuozzo Automator.|
|Full Name||The full name of the user.|
|The user’s valid e-mail address.|
|Description||A short description of the user.|
If the users from an external authentication database are not listed on this tab, chances are the objectClass=user attribute is not set for the users in this database. Make sure all the database users have this attribute set for these users to be listed on the Users tab of Virtuozzo Automator.
By default, 20 users are displayed on a page. To change the number of users shown per page, click the appropriate link below the table. You can also filter the users shown in the Users table. To do that, click Show Search, enter search patterns in the search fields, and click Search. To change what search fields are displayed, click Customize. To have the full list of users back, click Reset Results. To change the users order in the table, click the corresponding column name.
On the Users tab you can:
- Remove an existing user by selecting the check box near the corresponding user and clicking the Delete button. When deleting users, please keep in mind that you cannot remove built-in users (i.e. any of the users displayed on the System subtab).
- Create a new user by following the New User link at the top of the Users table.
11.3.2. Creating New User¶
The New User screen allowing you to create new users in Virtuozzo Automator opens on following the Security link on the Virtuozzo Automator menu, clicking the Users tab on the Security screen, and then clicking New User on the toolbar. To make a new user, you should fill in the following field:
- Login (mandatory): specify the name to be used to log in to Virtuozzo Automator.
- Full name: indicate the full name of the user.
- Description: enter any commentary on the user.
- Email: enter the user’s valid email.
- Type Password (mandatory): provide the password to be used by the user to log in to Virtuozzo Automator.
- Retype Password (mandatory): retype the password entered in the Type Password field.
On this screen, you can also include the user to any of the groups registered in VA. To this effect, select the group where you wish to add the user being created in the Available table under Member of Groups and click the >> button. To cancel the performed action, select the added group in the Selected table and click the << button.
To be able to use Virtuozzo Automator for the virtual environment administration, the users should also have the privilege to log in to Virtuozzo Automator. Do not forget to enable this right when creating the role for the user or, you can include the users in the precreated Virtuozzo Automator Users group, which is done by default during the user’s creation by means of Virtuozzo Automator. If you do not want the created user to have this privilege (e.g. you want the user to be able to use Virtuozzo Management Console only), remove the user from this group.
After specifying the necessary parameters, click the Submit button to start making the user. The newly created user will be displayed in the Users table on the Security screen.
11.3.3. Viewing User’s Details¶
The User screen allows you to view detailed information on a VA user. To display this page, follow the Security link on the Virtuozzo Automator menu, click the Users tab, and then click the name of the user whose details you wish to view in the Users table.
The information on the group is presented in the following fields:
- The Login field shows the name used by the user to log in to Virtuozzo Automator.
- The Full Name field displays the full name of the user, if set.
- The Description field displays the general arbitrary information about the user.
- The Email field shows the user’s e-mail address, if set.
- The Member of field displayed the groups where the user is currently included, if any.
11.3.4. Configuring User’s Parameters¶
The Configure screen allows you to configure the current user’s parameters. To access this screen, follow the Security link on the Virtuozzo Automator menu, click the Users tab, click the name of the user whose parameters you wish to configure, and then click the Configure button. On this screen, you can configure the user’s parameters as follows:
- in the Login field, change the user name to be used to log in to Virtuozzo Automator;
- in the Full name field, modify the full name of the user;
- in the Description field, provide an arbitrary general information about the user;
- in the Email field, change the user’s email;
- in the Type Password and Retype Password fields, set a new password to be used by the user to log in to Virtuozzo Automator;
- under Member of Groups, use the >> and << button to include the user in new groups or exclude her/him from existing ones, respectively.
After configuring the user’s parameters, click Submit for the changes to take effect; otherwise, click Cancel.